Public Comment

NEW LIBERAL ARTS DEAN DEVELOPS PROGRAM

The Associated Students of the University of Nevada welcomed the new dean of the College of Liberal Arts, Debra Moddelmog, to speak about her work in developing three areas of the program related to students.

The first is stronger advocacy for the importance of liberal arts. “If we forget the value of the humanities, we are actually not going to be at the cutting edge of research or development in the future,” Moddelmog said. Moddelmog also stressed the importance of a balanced education for all students and reached out to the senators to help with advocating for the liberal arts.

Secondly, Moddelmog is hoping to better prepare liberal arts students for the careers that will be available to them by developing pre-professional training, classes and workshops. The college is developing specific tracks to help liberal arts majors who want to enter the education field or even attend a medical or law school.

The third area Moddelmog discussed was advancing the diversity of the university. Four new gender, race and identity studies staff members are going to be hired, and the GRI program is currently being expanded to hopefully include a major, Moddelmog said.

Business

RECENT PACKFIT RESEARCH SEES SUCCESS

Vice President of the Associated Students Jacob Springmeyer reported the success of the recent PackFit mental health survey with over 700 responses and is now working to set up interactive programs and events to increase awareness of mental health and disabilities on campus.

Springmeyer also talked about finalizing details with Campus Recreation to coordinate a “bike-off” against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, for Beat UNLV Week.

Also, Senator Barragan updated the senate on the re-branding of the student voice program formerly known as What to Fix Nevada ASUN. A speaker’s task force has been set up with important people and organizations around campus to discuss what changes they would like to see in the program. There is no official meeting date for the task force at this time.

Legislation

NEW BULLETIN BOARDS AND INCREASE OF JUDICIAL INTERNS

Two acts of legislation were given a second reading. Both an act to amend the agenda posting procedure and an act to increase the number of interns within the judicial branch were unanimously approved by the senate. According to Senator Margaret Duvall, new bulletin boards are set to be put up in both the Ansari Business Building and the Pennington Student Achievement Center, and there will now be five judicial interns instead of the previous three.